Oct 13, 2006

Now that the Yanks are gone...

Who to root for? Some people say you should root for the team that beat you, because if they win the WS, it makes your team look better. That's nice and all, but it doesn't work for me. The Tigers just kicked our ass. How could I bring myself to root for that team?! Especially Kenny Rogers?

As for the Mets, no thanks. Maybe if their fans didn't hate the Yankees with such passion I could do it. Or maybe if I didn't feel a bit of jealousy at their postseason success (so far). Their pitching injuries will catch up with them though.

My allegiance for October has switched to Oakland. My friend is a SF fan, so he's pulling for them. And I want to see a great hitter like Frank Thomas win a ring (legitimately). And I just like their personas, like Nick Swisher, Mark Kotsay, Barry Zito and Danny Haren, who seem like they'd be fun to hang out with. Unfortunately, it looks bleak for them down 2-0 heading to Detroit. I was so hoping Thomas would hit a game-winning slam last night (has that ever happened in the playoffs, down by 3?). He was a tad late and popped out to end the game. Now the A's get to face the newest Yankee-killer, Kenny Rogers. However, I have a feeling he won't dominate twice in one postseason. And keep fighting Oakland! If I've learned anything from watching baseball most of my life, it's that Yogi was right, "It ain't over 'til it's over."

No comments: