Aug 21, 2006

The Marathon Game

(aka, Friday doubleheader game 2)

I did not see this whole game, for I was driving upstate (see my earlier posts) that night. We left about 9:00, the game had already begun an hour before. We listened on the radio and arrived in New Paltz at 10:15, and ate in a pub. When we left the car, the Yanks were up 7-5, but I knew Ponson would give it back. In the pub, the game was on, and as I predicted, it was 10-7 Sox when we left. It was while we were going to my parents house that Jeter hit the bases loaded double off Timlin. When we turned on the TV, it was 14-10, and I did a double-take. My is set DVR to tape all the games for 4 hours, to account for extra innings, long games, etc. Who knew a 9-inning affair would take nearly 5 hours?! Unfortunately I missed the time between the Yanks 7-run inning and the 9th when Rivera came in.

I'm almost glad I didnt see this whole game. It would've given me chest palpitations several times throughout, and possibly cause me to get something soft to punch.

Notes:
Great job by Villone getting out of the bases-loaded, no out jam by only giving up 2 runs on 1 hit (by Ramirez). He nearly got Ortiz to hit into a DP on a weak grounder, struck out Hinske, and got Pena on another weak grounder.

14-11 Yanks

3*: Melky, 3-3, 2 bb, 3 r, 2 rbi, 2 bb, outfield assist
2: Damon, 3-6, HR, 3 rbi
1: Cano, 2-6, 3 rbi, 2b
1: Abreu, 2-4, 2 bb, 2 rbi, 2 r, 2b
1: Jeter, 1-6, 3 rbi, bases loaded 2b
1: Proctor, 1.1 perfect ip

No comments: